How to Change the Default Email Program for Mail To: Links
Canopy has the ability to send messages to students either through direct Canvas messages or via email. When authoring a response to a student, you have the option to respond directly in the Canvas discussion, via Canvas message, or Email using the green buttons below the text area.
The Email button (second from left) will launch your mail client
The Canvas message and reply buttons automatically send what you write to their respective locations. Clicking on “Email” will launch your default Mail to: client, bringing in whatever you wrote in the text area. If it is not launching your desired mail client, you may need to make some minor tweaks to your settings.
Below we cover some of the most common use cases, but with so many browsers, mail clients, and operating systems this is far from an exhaustive list. If your specific case isn’t covered, you can see the support articles from Microsoft for Windows and Mac for MacOS.
Web Mail Client
If you’re using a webmail client like Gmail or Outlook online, you must set your web browser’s settings to direct Mail to: links to the client of your choice. To do this in Google Chrome:
- In the URL bar type chrome://settings/handlers
- Ensure “Sites can ask to handle protocols” is enabled
- Your email clients will be listed below the “email” field. If you have multiple options and want to change the default option, click the three vertical dots next to the email client name and select “Set as default”.
With many different OS versions, these steps may not match exactly, especially if you are using an older version of Mac or Windows. Feel free to contact us for help.
- Navigate to Settings > Apps > Default Apps.
- Scroll down to “Choose default apps by protocol”
- Scroll down to “MAILTO” protocol and select the application you want to use.
- Open the Mail app.
- From the Mail menu in the menu bar, choose Settings (or Preferences).
- Click General.
- Choose an email app from the “Default email reader” pop-up menu.