Annotate PRO Beta Versions
Version 6.2.b, published March 27th, 2023, is the new beta version of the Annotate PRO Chrome Extension.
Try this beta gains access to the new Checklists feature AND the ability to create a new comment from the Chrome Extension! We’ve also improved how AP plays with Brightspace (D2L) and Schoology. Finally, you’ll notice the big “A” icon has now become a small “a” – our new branding:)
Users install Chrome Extensions like Annotate PRO (AP) from the Chrome Webstore. This guarantees security and automatic updates.
However, Google can take a week or more to review an update to an Extension like AP, which limits our ability to respond to bugs and release updates.
Join the AP beta program to gain instant access to a newer version of AP to:
- Experience new features/capabilities and help us test them.
- Get a bug fix for an issue affecting your use of AP.
You can gain instant access to the latest AP beta by:
- Joining the AP Chrome Beta Google Group
Important: you can join the Google Group with an email address different than the one you use with AP if you log into AP with a username and password. If you use Google single-sign on, you’ll need to join the Google Group with that same account.
- Visiting this private link in the Google Chrome Webstore to install the latest beta just like any other Extension.
You’ll only be able to get to step 2 if you complete step 1.
- What’s NEW in the beta?
- Add a new comment directly from the toolbar. Click on the + icon at the top of toolbar and it will open a box to add a new comment. Or click the Edit menu in the AP popup and choose New Comment. Instead of waiting to be taken to the web editor, you’ll immediately get a popup to craft your expert feedback. As an added bonus, AP will remember your last choice of Library and Group to speed entry.
- Improved support for Brightspace (D2L) and Schoololgy.
- New Checklists feature added. Checklists will require an AP+ subscription OR an institutional license after July 1, 2023. But they’re free until then for everyone!
- The extension’s branding now matches our new logo and color scheme for 2023.
- Will I see my regular AP content (that I’ve worked so hard to create!)?
- Absolutely. The beta version connects to the same database as the regular version of AP.
- How do I provide feedback, report issues, ask questions?
- Send any feedback/bugs/questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. For bugs/issues/ideas, include screenshots and steps to reproduce (if possible). We regularly provide individuals with a year’s access to all paid features and content as a small “thank you” for finding bugs and providing feedback on AP.
- Why doesn’t ALT-A work anymore to open AP?
Using ALT-A to open AP from ANY webpage is one of our best features. Switching between production and beta versions of AP can confuse Chrome and you may need to manually specify the keyboard shortcut to get it working. Here’s how:
- Open chrome://extensions/shortcuts.
- Click the ‘X’ in the Annotate PRO section.
- Click into the entry area and type “ALT-A” (both keys at the same time).
- Try it! AP should be back in business with the shortcut.
- How do I get updates to the beta?
- If you have the beta installed you’ll get automatic updates to the beta just like the production version of AP.
- Can I keep the production version of AP installed while I use the beta?
- You can happily run both the production version of AP and the beta at the same time. Make sure to disable production if using the beta and vice versa. Visit chrome://extensions/ and toggle one of your APs off or uninstall the production version of AP. In the screenshot below we have toggled ON the AP beta (6.2.b) and toggled OFF the production version.
This is a link to the version of AP available to everyone in the Google Chrome Web Store. Since it can take a week or longer to get a new version reviewed and approved, you may want to try a BETA version if you’re experiencing problems with the production version downloaded from the Chrome Web Store
- Annotate PRO Chrome Extension (6.1 | February 9, 2021)