Sort AND Color Your Favorites
Favorites make it easy to promote any Comment to become a one-click-away experience in both the AP toolbars and the AP popup (Chrome only).
Creating unlimited numbers of Favorites is part of the AP forever-free license for all educators; trial, paid individual and paid institution license holders can now sort their Favorites and pick colors for the buttons.
For instance, you might group all of your encouraging Comments together and use a shade of green for all comments on evidence. Or use light orange to indicate knowledge base text, like links to your writing center or library research guides.
AP’s Double Wide sidebar feature just makes Favorites that much more useful!
Your changes are saved constantly. The AP Chrome Extension will update automatically. The AP Word app must be manually refreshed by clicking Refresh in the AP sidebar in Word.
PS: Apologies for using US-centric spelling for ‘colour’ and ‘Favourite’! We know our UK, NZ, AUS and other users are right…but our computer made us do it.
1) Find the Sort & Color Favorites Editor
Sorting & Coloring Favorites has its own dedicated page. Reach it from the AP Chrome Extension or AP Word app by clicking Edit then Sort & Color Favorites.
Once in the AP editor take the same path: Edit then Sort & Color Favorites.
2) Drag to Reorder
Drag to change the order of your Favorites.
Notice that the default view is of the Favorites in your currently Selected Libraries. You can also organize Favorites in your Active Libraries or All Libraries.
Active Libraries appear in your Library chooser but are not checked.
3) Change the Button Color
Click Fave Color to pick a color for your button.
Note: this color is only for the button – it does not affect the way the text will appear after clicking.
4) Edit Favorite Label and Text
Click the + button to expand a specific Favorite and edit its Label or Text.
Your changes will save automatically.
Favorites appear in the order you’ve defined across the AP Chrome Extension and Word apps. The screenshots below, from left to right, top to bottom (click for a larger view):
- AP Favorites in Chrome next to a Google Doc – just highlight and click to add a Comment.
- AP Favorites in the Microsoft Word native app – highlight and click to add a Comment.
- AP Favorites in the AP Chrome Extension Popup – you don’t need to use the sidebar. Just ALT-A to open AP on any page.
- AP Favorites in the AP Chrome Extension Top Toolbar – sometimes you want to preserve horizontal space and see AP above rather than beside your content.